At the end of the play, Scrooge makes some generous donations to the welfare of those his community. In that spirit, here are local organizations that give assistance to those in need in our own community–and could use your assistance. To quote the play, “How much should we put you down for?”
MY Meds – an outreach that helps uninsured individuals in Mitchell, Yancey, and Avery Counties secure prescribed medications that keep them healthy, employed, and out of the hospital.
Family Violence Coalition – a non-profit organization providing services and support to victims of domestic violence.
– a Christian, ecumenical, outreach ministry serving Yancey County in Western North Carolina. Our main purpose is to provide physical assistance to families in a crisis situation, in many cases, long-term suffering and financial poverty. Reconciliation House has become a “haven of refuge” to families suffering from hunger and the elements.
Graham’s Chidren’s Heath Services – a community based, community led, volunteer coalition with the vision that every child in the Toe River Area should have the opportunity and the access to achieve the best possible health.
Habitat for Humanity
– Habitat for Humanity believes that every
man, woman and child should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live. We build and repair houses all over the world using volunteer labor and donations. Our partner families purchase these houses through no-profit, no-interest mortgage loans or innovative financing methods.
Centro de Enlace
– Centro de Enlace empowers Yancey County Latinos to successfully seize the full range of opportunities available to them through communication, advocacy, education, and community organization. We envision a county where the impacts of poverty and marginalization no longer obstruct the ability of individuals and families to sustain themselves and contribute their talents. The center strives to implement programs that bring Latinos into full participation in the county’s social, political and economic life, and to promote unity and understanding of our different cultures.
– We provide healthy snacks to kids who are on free or reduced lunches during the school week but then have little or nothing to eat over the weekends. We package the snacks in grocery-type bags and then deliver them to the schools in the county who have identified the kids. The schools then make sure the kids have the bags before they leave for home before they leave school on Fridays.
Dig In Garden
– In our first year we delivered over 2000 lbs of fresh vegetables to soup kitchens and other agencies in Yancey County. The 2012 growing season put us over the 9000 lb. mark. As community involvement grows, so will our production.
Meds For Kids (through My Heath-e-Schools)
– MY Health-e-Schools has a continuous fundraising campaign that allows us pay for medications and medical services for uninsured and under-insured children that are seen by our telemedicine program.
through M-Y Partnership for Children
– In 1996, Dolly Parton launched an exciting new effort, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, to benefit the children of her home county in East Tennessee, USA. Dolly’s vision was to foster a love of reading among her county’s preschool children and their families by providing them with the gift of a specially selected book each month. By mailing high quality, age-appropriate books directly to their homes, she wanted children to be excited about books and to feel the magic that books can create. Moreover, she could insure that every child would have books, regardless of their family’s income.
There are others, so if one comes to mind, please list it in the comments and provide a link if you are able!
“It is a [strange person] indeed who does not follow one act of kindness with another act of kindness.”